Update Yourself

Blogroll

Monday, August 1, 2011

The story of Job Interview at Google Singapore and Australia

One of the internet giant from the United States (U.S.), Google, plans to open offices in Indonesia. Though doomed to fail because of regulatory issues stumble, it did not dampen Google's move to expand its market in the country.

In contrast with its headquarters in the U.S., Google's office in Indonesia is more focused on the importance of marketing, saw most of Google's advertising revenue came from small and medium enterprises (SMEs), which is mushrooming in the country. Although 'only' marketing office, it still makes the opportunities for citizens in Indonesia to start working class company Google.

As foreign companies in general, Google in merekut candidates certainly not arbitrary. Need special qualifications with strict admission. Especially considering the number of jobs needed is not directly proportional to prospective workers.

Andryo is one of the young people of Indonesia who try their luck to get into Google. Although applying for the regional South East Asia, it took a long interview stage and sometimes unique. Listen to interviews with male graduates Legal Kingston University, UK, majoring in the MA in Digital Media.

From which Mas Andryo find a job at Google is? You are applying for what position?

From Google's job site. The position of Digital Media Consultant for Indonesia market but based in Singapore. Actually, I previously worked and lived in Australia, precisely in Sydney, in one of the world's largest advertising company. I work as a Search Engine Optimization (SEO) Account Manager.

Not clear why that night I casually open the job site on Google, and see vacancies in the Google Singapore, to the position of Digital Media Consultant. I immediately wrote the cover letter, and send my CV.

So far, I have to apply job at Google as much as 4 times and never get a good response. 2 times I applied for Google UK in London, 1 time for YouTube UK team in London, and a time for Google's Asia Pacific in Singapore.

Can tell the stages through which you try their luck in a Google employee?

*) The first interview
After sending my CV, a month later I received an email from Google recruiter Singapore. Recruiter is a Frenchman, he is very friendly. He asked a few things in his email, which include:

1. Are you currently in employment?
2. What is your notice period / availability to start?
3. What are your salary expectations (very approximate range)?
4. What were the resource persons your overall grades in your degrees, respectively?
5. What Were the Reasons for leaving your three most recent roles on your CV?
6. Your top achievement in your career to date - can you please send a bullet on that?
7. Would you require Google to sponsor a visa on your behalf?
8. Why are you interested by this position?

I had asked about the recruitment process, how long the process, and is there any on-site interviews where I have to go to the Google Singapore office? He said generally the process will take one month more, because roughly to my position will be held 4 to 5 interviews. And two interviews to be done on-site, where I had come to Google Australia in Sydney to do video conferencing with Google Singapore. Too expensive to buy a ticket Sydney-Singapore round trip for two interviews. After that, the hiring committee in America that Google will eventually give approval. The process is very complicated, I think.

*) The second interview
For this second stage, the Google recruiter conducting interviews via telephon connection.

This interview was conducted with one Account Manager in South-East Asian market, again a French origin. I take the time to open a Linkedin profile and his Twitter. He has worked at Google for 4 years, 1 year in Europe, 3 years in Singapore. He was a very friendly, and highly structured from the way he spoke.

He asked quite a lot of things. Beginning with general questions such as career goals, work experience in London and Sydney, the constraints now facing, accomplishments I've achieved at work, school, and extra curricular activities. Then about the Internet in Indonesia, and the strategies that I will take to promote Google. Some technical questions about Adwords and Analytics also asked. In general, he said, satisfied with my answers.

*) The third interview
This interview was conducted in two languages, English and Indonesian. Frankly I was a little scared too, because my last job interview in the Indonesian language, or speaking in the Indonesian language for formal affairs, was about 4 years ago.

He asks a lot of things about strategy and marketing, a question that does not have the right answer. All depends on creativity and knowledge. For technical matters, I have learned in-depth about the market in Indonesia, any competitor of Google, also about Adwords, PPC, Display, Adsense, Doubleclick, Quality Score, and remarketing.

The next day, the French recruiter phoned me again. He said my interview went very well, the team leader that I liked and felt satisfied with my knowledge of online marketing going. Directly he asked me to leave as soon as possible to come to Australia in the Sydney office of Google, and conduct two on-site interviews at the same time, via video conference with Google's Asia Pacific in Singapore.

He sent an email to prepare me for a second interview. He said, pe-first interview is not a member of the same team. He of the regional team. This person will ask questions that are more "abstract" again.

*) Interview fourth & fifth
I have a few days studying like crazy. The body feels tired, sore eyes and shaggy, sleepy total. Which makes it difficult is I do all this while working. My work was really busy-busy. I manage the four client accounts with offices spread across Sydney, Melbourne, and Auckland (New Zealand).

That day I leave. I purposely woke up late in the morning, big breakfast, read a little-read. I came quickly to the city, sushi lunch, then to the Pyrmont area (location Google Australia) to find a cafe near the Google offices. I learned again for 1-2 hours in there.

I came a bit too fast and had a little chat with the receptionist and the HR. I sign in and sign an NDA agreement / Non-Disclosure Agreement not to divulge any information, on a touch screen.

After the interview began. Pe-first interview from Australia (judging from his accent), and pe-second interview was Irish. Quite hard questions asked.

Most of the question is not about the things that can be learned, but rather wanted to see how creative I am. Luckily I came armed with a lot of preparation. I think I answered pretty well.


To be continued .....

Part of the interview quoted by the personal blogs that can Andryo dikunjuni in Andryo.com



Source: Okezone.com

1 comments:

Wow! You had a great adventure in your job interview! Well, good luck! I hope you make it!


Frederic Coia

Twitter Delicious Facebook Digg Stumbleupon Favorites More